The Nation and The Logan Republican
When the people of Utah divided on national political party lines, naturally each party in the larger settlements became active for a newspaper to represent them. Mr. Joel Ricks being an active worker for the Republican Party decided to start a semiweekly newspaper in Logan, with Mr. Ezar T. Hyde. That would represent the local Republican Party. The Logan Journal represented the local Democratic Party.
Mr. Ricks and Mr. Hyde approached Mr. Harry E. Baker of Salt Lake City to act as editor. Very shortly Mr. Baker reported that he had purchased the old Deseret News hand press and had decided to start a daily newspaper in Logan and name it The Nation. The plant was established in the little frame building just north of the present Skaggs store on South Main Street owned by Mr. Joel Richs. Mr. Baker was the editor in chief, and Mr. Ezra T. Hyde was business manager and local editor. Mr. Joseph Odell who was employed at Ogden and an experienced compositor was engaged as the foreman of the plant. Mr. John Harry, now of Smithfield, was the pressman and Miss Lillie Hyde, now Mrs. George Dunbar, was one of the compositors.
The first issue of the paper came out in April 1890. It continued to run as a daily for three months but as the patronage was not sufficient and the advertising business was so limited, it was discontinued as a daily and was changed to a semiweekly. The paper was a very creditable one for those days. At this time Mr. Joel Ricks and Mr. Ezra T. Hyde became associated with the paper. Mr. Odell went to Ogden and Miss Hyde became the chief compositor. The paper was run for about two years and then was sold out to Messrs. Prible and Andy Rosenbaum. The name Logan Republican was adopted. The paper did not succeed very well and it was taken over by Mr. Joel Ricks. Mr. Rosenbaum moved from the city. Mr. Ted Bench was one of the compositors and Mr. A. Gordon edited it during one political campaign.
Mr. Ricks ran the paper under the name of The Nation for about three years and then sold it to Mr. Ezra T. Hyde. Mr. Hyde operated the paper as an independent newspaper.
About 1903 Mr. Ralph Moore who was a practical printer and newspaper man, was induced to start a newspaper that would represent the local Republican Party. He purchased new machinery and with the help of contributions, started the little plant in the upstairs of the building now occupied by the Woolworth Company on Main Street. He retained the name Logan Republican for the paper. After the election in 1904, in which the Republican Party was successful throughout the country, the newspaper could not meet its bills and Mr. Joel Ricks came to the rescue again and made an agreement to put money into it, take the management and work with Mr. Moore. The plant was moved to a little building on Center Street and Mr. Fred Turner was employed as a reporter.
The paper was published for several months when the Logan Publishing Company was formed and bought the paper from Mr. Ricks and then leased the plant to Moore and Turner.
The officers of the Logan Publishing Company were Joseph Odell, president, Joseph Howell, first vice-president, J. C. Walters, second vice-president and H. Bullen, secretary and treasurer. Moore and Turner continued to issue the paper as the Logan Republican until Moore sold his interest in the lease to Mr. Turner. Later, Mr. Turner sold out to Mr. H. Bullen and J. C. Allen, Jr.
The paper is still known as the Logan Republican and Mr. J. C. Allen, Jr. is the editor.