George N. Sorensen is the teacher, upper back row. The rock school served Mendon from about 1875 to 1899, when the red brick building was added to the front of the rock building. These two buildings were in use until 1935, when the yellow brick school was opened.
The rock and red brick school were torn down in 1968 as part of a town cleanup effort. The City building and jail were torn down at the same time. This building sat east and south of the school, but on the same lots.