Mendon Ward Descriptive
Mendon Ward consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in the little town of Mendon which is situated on the Oregon Short Line Railway, on the west side of Cache Valley in Cache County, Utah eight miles west of Logan (the county seat) six miles north of Wellsville, eleven miles south of Newton, twenty-three miles by nearest wagon road north-east of Brigham City and eighty-seven miles by rail north of Salt Lake City. The town is pleasantly situated in the midst of a rich agricultural and fruit growing district. All kinds of cereals and vegetables and fruits that can grow anywhere in Cache Valley, also do well here. The place is healthy through its pure atmosphere and good water; and the beauty of natural scenery add attractions that can scarcely be surpassed. Mendon is the first settlement reached in entering Cache Valley from the west by rail. The city lots and farms are watered from a number of mountain streams springing forth from the base of the mountains adjacent to the town. Some of the farming lands are also watered from the so called Gardner’s Springs situated about three miles south of the town, but most of the grain raised an Mendon is done by the process of dry farming. Nearly the entire population of the ward live on the town site, where there are three stores, a substantial rock meetinghouse, a large rock schoolhouse and many fine and comfortable private dwellings. Mendon is an incorporated city. Nearly all the inhabitants are Latter-day Saints and the Ward has a Relief Society, a Sunday school, a Y.M.M.I.A., a Y.L.M.I.A. and a Primary Association. The farms belonging to Mendon reach from the lower valley up the sloping side hills to the top of the ridge northwest and to the base of the higher mountains southwest.
In 1857, one year after the founding of Wellsville, Alexander Brice Hill and Robert Hill took up farms and located on the present site of Mendon. They built a small house near the place where the church granary now stands in the lower part of town, which house was occupied until the time of "The Move" in 1858. Alexander B. Hill had his wife along and she of course was the first woman settler at Mendon. When the place was resettled in 1859 (the year after the move) the house was still standing.
In the latter part of April and beginning of May 1859, the following brethren, most of them with families, arrived on the present site of Mendon and became bona fide settlers of the place; Roger Luckham and family (including Robert Sweeten, a step son). Charles Atkinson and wife, Alfred Atkinson and family, James G. Willie and family, Charles Shumway, Sr. and family, Andrew P. Shumway and wife, Alexander B. Hill and his sons (Alexander H. and James H.), Peter Larsen, Peter and Isaac Sorensen, John and Hyrum T. Richards (sons of John Richards) and perhaps a few others. Later in the season, in the fall and early winter, other settlers arrived, among whom were Andrew Anderson, John Richards and family (including his sons Joseph, Alexander and Daniel B.), Abraham Sorensen and wife, Nicolai Sorensen and his sons (Abraham, Jacob, Christian and Henry), William Findlay, Ralph Foster and a number of others with their families.
These first settlers of Mendon erected their primitive pioneer cabins in fort style, in order to protect themselves against Indians. John Richards, Jr. completed the first house in the fort. On the 10th of August 1859, Jesse W. Fox, Sr. surveyed the fort, assisted by Robert Sweeten and others. The fort consisted of one street running east and west, the houses fronting on both sides of the street. Corrals and stack yards were built in the rear of the houses, and gardens were made behind the corrals. After putting in their crops in the spring of the year, the first families who had settled Mendon moved to Wellsville because of Indian disturbances, the men, however returning to attend their crops; frequently they went to Wellsville to stop over night. After the Indian scare was over, most of the families moved back to Mendon in the fall of 1859.
The first Presiding Elder at Mendon was Charles Shumway, Sr. one of the original Utah pioneers of 1847: he was appointed by Bishop Peter Maughan and acted with James G. Willie and Alexander B. Hill as counselors. This proved, however, a temporary appointment, as soon after the return of the families from Wellsville in the fall of 1859 Andrew P. Shumway was appointed to act as a regular Bishop of the new settlement; he was ordained December 19th, 1859, at a meeting held in the house of William Findlay attended by Orson Hyde and Ezra T. Benson. Bishop Shumway presided without counselors, until he was called on a mission to Europe early in 1869.
During the winter of 1859-1860, a log school and meetinghouse was built at Mendon, on the southeast corner of the present public square, twenty-four by eighteen feet. This served for public purposes until the east part of the present meetinghouse was built in 1866.
In 1860 a few more settlers arrived at Mendon, among whom were Amenzo W., Albert M. and George W. Baker who arrived in Mendon, April 18th, 1860. Improvements were made in the shape of building new houses, fencing and making water ditches. At a meeting held at Mendon December 3rd, 1860, Edward Wood was appointed local president of the Elders in the new settlement with Alfred J. Atkinson as clerk.
Early in 1861, a post office was established at Mendon with James G. Willie as postmaster. A few more settlers arrived at Mendon this year, among whom were Ole C. Sonne who arrived in April 1861.
Among the new settler who arrived at Mendon in 1862 was Henry Hughes who afterwards became the bishop of the place. This year two teams were sent to the Missouri River after the poor, Peter Larsen and Isaac Sorensen were the teamsters.
In 1863, when the authorities of the church called for teams and men to go to the Missouri River after the poor, Mendon responded by sending two teams with Ralph Forster and Jasper Lemmon as teamsters. Simon Baker, one of the first Mormons who entered the Cache Valley, died at Mendon, October 22nd, 1863.
In 1864 a town plat of nine, ten-acre blocks were surveyed at Mendon and the people began to move out upon their city lots. Additions to the town plat were subsequently made. Up to that time they had lived in the fort previously mentioned. Since 1864 there has been a gradual increase of population at Mendon. This year, also Mendon responded to the sending of a team and a teamster to the Missouri River after emigrants; the teamster this year was Joseph H. Richards.
The year 1865 witnessed further improvements in the growing settlement.
In 1866 the settlers of Mendon commenced to build a wall around their meeting house as a means of protection against the Indians; this wall was built of rock about six feet high and enclosed about one acre of ground. A bastion was built on the northeast and southwest corner of the wall. The danger from Indians not terminating as seriously as the settlers had expected, the people never moved into their fort. This year a new meetinghouse, a rock building forty-five by twenty-eight feet, was built at Mendon. At the time of its erection it was considered the finest meetinghouse in Cache County. This year the little settlement was plunged into sorrow owing to the fact that Mr. Thurston’s three-year-old daughter was stolen by Indians, near Mendon, May 2nd, 1866. The little girl was never recovered. This year men and teams were again sent to the Missouri River after the poor. The teamsters were Charles Bird Jr., Jacob F. Sorensen and Joseph Hancock.
In 1867 the crops at Mendon were partly destroyed by grasshoppers.
In 1868 Mendon responded for the last time to the call for men and teams to be sent east to meet the incoming emigration. Men and teams were also employed in grading the Central Pacific Railroad bed. This year’s crops were all destroyed by the grasshoppers. A Relief Society was organized May 28th, 1868, with Mrs. Elizabeth A. Willie as president. This association has continued over since. Bishop Andrew P. Shumway and Charles Shumway, Jr. were called on missions to Europe in 1869 they were both set apart May 10th, 1869. Bishop Shumway returned August 16th, 1871 and Charles Shumway Jr. returned August 5th, 1870. Charles Bird and Charles Shumway, Sr. were set apart for mission to the United States, October 9th, 1869; Elder Bird returned in 1870 and Elder Shumway returned in 1870. After the departure of Bishop Shumway on his mission, Henry Hughes was called by Apostle Ezra T. Benson and Bishop Peter Maughan of Cache Valley to preside at Mendon. He entered upon the duties of that office at once, but was not ordained till a later day. In 1869 a co-operative store was commenced in Mendon; it was successful from the beginning.
The year 1870 witnessed many improvements and some increase in the population at Mendon. Under the date of December 5th, 1870, Bishop Henry Hughes wrote to the “Desert News” the following: “Among the many interesting subjects inaugurated for the benefit of the people within the last few years none appears to serve, when carried out in the spirit as well as the letter so much to unite the saints as the system of co-operation. Mendon being desirous of not being behind her sister settlers in the great work introduced for the benefit of all Saints organized a store April 1st, 1869, with a board consisting of a president, three directors, treasurer and secretary, and an average capital of $900. We were advised by our late respected President Ezra T. Benson and also by Peter Maughan, to sell out at as low a percentage as a fair profit to the shareholders would admit of. We agreed to commence the institution by selling at twenty-percent advance of cost and freight, which continued for nine month, when we took stock and ascertained that we had cleared one hundred and forty-three percent, after deducting all expenses. We have turned our capital nine times, purchasing and paying for nearly $10,000 worth of goods. Finding it a paying business, we concluded to reduce our percentage to sixteen and two-thirds, and have continued at that ratio to the present with a constant increase of business, caused by the Saints from other settlements, visiting and trading with us. When our new store is built next spring, it is the intention to reduce the percentage to twelve and one-half on all staple goods. This fall we purchased and paid for a first class “Threshing Machine,” at a cost of nearly $900 cash, out of profits made and it is called the “Mendon Co-operative Threshing Machine,” enabling us to retain the toll grain amongst ourselves, that had previously been given to others, not particularly interested in our local prosperity as a settlement, and we intend to continue, and by the blessing of Israel’s God, never to rest in the good work commenced, until factory after factory be reared, strengthened and consolidated in the great co-operative work, begun here with a capital of $900. Small profits and quick returns is our trading motto and with the facilities within our reach of replenishing stock at the parent co–operative institution in Salt Lake City and at Ogden, results similar to our experience can be attained by any store in Utah. We have received excellent counsel and advice from Pres. Maughan and we have endeavored to practice upon them.” (The Deseret News, Volume 19, Number 46, Page 540, Wed. Dec. 21, 1870.)
In 1871, a number of the brethren of Mendon worked on the railroad grade, which was being built from Ogden into Cache Valley.
In July, 1872 a very interesting two days meeting was held at Mendon, at which Bishop William B. Preston, William Hyde, Marriner W. Merrill, Lorenzo Hatch, William Maughan, Samuel Roskelley, William F. Littlewood, Henry Hughes and others gave excellent instructions of a practical nature to the settlers at Mendon. The brethren also visited the Ward Sunday school and expressed themselves well satisfied with the same. (Deseret News; 21:393)
In 1872, work was continued on the Utah Northern Railway and on Thursday, December 19th the cars on the Utah-Northern Railway ran into Mendon for the first time.
Under date of December 22nd, 1872, a correspondent to the “Deseret News” writes: “Friday last was a gala day in Mendon. For some few days previously all was excitement expecting the next day we would be able to see the iron horse from our own door and on Thursday evening we were informed by Bishop Hughes that he had made arrangements so that all the children in Mendon would go out on the track and get on board the cars and accompany the engine on her first trip to Mendon with passengers. Next morning at ten o’clock the children were taken to Three Mile Creek. They got on the cars all safe and started for Mendon and it was a sight that would have cheered the heart of anyone to look into the cars a few moments and see the happy faces and hear their odd remarks on locomotives, railroads, etc. We arrived all safe and gave three rousing cheers for John W. Young, president of the road, also for the workmen of the road; and last though not least, for Mr. Tolley, who is chief of construction, for whose kindness to the children and all on board the cars we return them our thanks. He is the right man in the right place and is energetic in furthering the interests of the Utah Northern Rail Road.
All the employees on the road were invited to dinner by the citizens of Mendon. A grand ball was given in the evening, which was well attended and all went merry, etc., till “Chanticleer” announced the near approach of day, when we dismissed after one of the most agreeable parties we ever had in Mendon.
On Sunday evening the new Co-operative store was dedicated by prayer by Bishop Henry Hughes. (Deseret News 21:730)
Bishop Henry Hughes who had acted as Bishop at Mendon since 1869 was regularly ordained to the office of a Bishop, October 7th, 1872 by President Brigham Young. He still acted without counselors until 1877.
Bishop Henry Hughes was set apart for a mission to Wales, October 8th, 1873, during his absence Ralph Foster took charge of the ward.
The year 1874 witnessed good progress, good crops were raised and good feelings prevailed.
A Young Mens Mutual Improvement Association was organized at Mendon December 30th, 1875, with John Donaldson as president. This association has had a continued existence ever since. (Deseret News 24:811)
In 1876, good crops were raised at Mendon. When the church authorities called for colonization missionaries that year to locate settlements of the Saints in Arizona, Joseph H. Richards, as the only man called from Mendon responded willingly to the call; he sold everything he owned in Mendon and settled on the Little Colorado River (St. Joseph) where he still resided in 1900.
At an important meeting held at Mendon June 6th, 1877, attended by the Cache Stake Presidency. Andrew Andersen and John Donaldson were ordained and set apart as counselors to Bishop Henry Hughes. On the same occasion William Willie was set apart to preside over the Elders Quorum of Mendon with John Hughes and Alexander Richards as his counselors.
A Young Ladies Mutual Improvement Association was organized at Mendon October 25th, 1877 with Mrs. Larsine Richards as President. This association has done much good since that time.
Pioneer Day, July 24th, 1878, was fittingly celebrated at Mendon. At early dawn the firing of fourteen guns announced the beginning of festivities. An excellent vocal serenade by the choir to many homes in the city was next in order. At nine o’clock the public were called together for a salute of eight guns. Elder Alfred Gardner writes: “A procession was formed in the following order: 1st A covered wagon drawn by two yoke of oxen, representing the way the Pioneers crossed the plains, then wilderness and arriving in Salt Lake Valley; 2nd Mayor and members of the City Council; 3rd Twelve young men; 4th Twelve young ladies; 5th Fathers in Israel; 6th Mothers in Israel; 7th Choir; 8th Sunday school. We marched a short time on the public square then to the meetinghouse which was handsomely decorated for the purpose, a noticeable feature of the decorations was, two handsome pictures, of Utah as it was, representing a train of wagons crossing the plains and around it was woven a wreath of pine limbs, sage brush and sunflowers, the other, Utah as it is representing a basket of fruit, around this was a wreath of evergreens and beautiful flowers.”
Our meeting was very interesting with orations, singing, recitations, etc. The afternoon was spent in horse and foot racing and other amusements and a dance for the juveniles; in the evening we had a dance for adults, which was a good one interspaced with songs, etc. All were well satisfied with the day’s amusements.
The following is the committee on arrangements: Walter Paul, George W. Baker, Edmund Paul, John Hughes, Wiear Baker, and Charles W. Bird. George W. Baker, Marshal of the day. (Deseret News 27:413)
Under date of February 18th, 1870, Elder Orson F. Whitney who visited Cache Valley writes to the Deseret News the following; “Mendon is quite little town of between ninety and one hundred families, situated on the west side of this fertile valley on the slope which hugs the base of the snow-covered mountains. The community is industrious, frugal and with scarcely an exception, farmers; each man setting beneath his own vine and fig tree, owing the house he inhabits and the land he cultivates. The soil is very productive and some of the best farms in the valley are contiguous to this settlement. Among these is one of one hundred acres, owned by the entire settlement, whose yearly products are devoted to the building of the Logan Temple and the support of the Mendon Sabbath School. The Co-operative Store, under the management of Brother James G. Willie, is doing a business of ten to twelve-thousand dollars annually and its capital stock within the last three years has increased seven hundred percent.”
The Y.L.M.I.A. and the Y.M.M.I.A. as well as the Primary Association are well attended, the meetinghouse being too small to accommodate them. A new schoolhouse is approaching completion and is a credit to the town. No saloon or house of ill repute is to be found in the place; the inhabitants as a rule are good, honest workers and with their worthy Bishop Henry Hughes, a kind and hospitable man, are endeavoring to do what is right.
A prevailing characteristic of our “country cousins” is their warm hearted hospitality and a universal willingness to oblige their friends who come from the city, not only with the gratuitous offering of bed and board while they remain, but any other courtesy of favor that lies within their power.” (Deseret News 28:71)
A Primary Association was organized at Mendon, June 3rd, 1879, with Mrs. Martha Zina Paul as President.
Ole C. Sonne was set apart for a mission to Scandinavia, July 26th, 1879; he returned September 25th, 1880.
Isaac Sorensen was set apart for a mission to Scandinavia October 9th, 1879; he returned July 15th, 1881.
John Donaldson was set apart for a mission to Great Britain April 9th, 1880; he returned May 1st, 1882.
William Willie was set apart for a mission to Great Britain October 10th, 1881; he returned November 15th, 1883.
Elder Jens Jensen and John Smith Willie was set apart for missions to the Southern States February 15th, 1883; Brother Jensen returned October 6th, 1885, and Brother Willie in 1885.
Alexander Hill Richards was set apart for a mission to the Southern States February 26th, 1883; he returned December 30th, 1884.
Jasper Lemmon was set apart for a mission to the Southern States October 8v, 1883; he returned June 17th, 1884.
Counselor Donaldson removed to the Teton, Snake River Valley, Idaho, and at a public meeting held at Mendon, June 3rd, 1884, attended by President Charles O. Card and others James G. Willie was sustained as second counselor to Bishop Hughes.
In 1884, a number of improvements was made to the ward meetinghouse, which made the meetinghouse into the shape of a “T.” The addition, which was built on the west, was fifty by twenty-eight feet. This is the meetinghouse still used for public worship by the people of Mendon.
In 1886, Eliza Davis of Cache Hill, Mendon was called of a mission to Great Britain; he was set apart October 25th, 1886.
Traugott Stumpf of Mendon was arrested September 27th, 1887, on a charge of unlawful cohabitation. After trial in the First District Court he was sentenced to two years imprisonment December 17th, 1887.
Henry Hughes of Mendon was imprisoned in the Utah Penitentiary, November 26th, 1887, having been sentenced by Judge Henderson in the First District Court at Ogden to six months imprisonment and to pay a fine of one hundred dollars for unlawful cohabitation.
In the First District Court at Ogden William Willie of Mendon was sentenced to six months imprisonment and one hundred and fifty dollars fine for unlawful cohabitation December 10th, 1887, and imprisoned the same day.
Good crops were raised at Mendon in 1888 and the usual improvements made.
In the Christmas number of the Logan Journal (1889) the following paragraph on Mendon was published: “About seven miles west of Logan is situated Mendon. It is prettily located at the base of lofty mountains, and is on the line of the Utah & Northern Railway. From Mendon a fine view is obtained of Logan, the Queen City of Cache. The population of Mendon is about eight hundred and the principal occupation of the people farming. The town was first settled in May 1859, by Robert Hill, Roger Luckham, Robert Sweeten, James H. Hill, Peter Larsen, Isaac and Peter Sorensen, Alexander Hill and Alexander H. Hill, and soon after their arrival the settlement was organized under the name of Mendon. It is now an incorporated city, and though its growth has been somewhat slow, Mendon has a good future before it. The religious and educational facilities compare favorably with any other town in Cache Valley in proportion to population. A co-operative institution controls the business interests of the town and has been very successful.”
“Mendon is the first town reached by trains going, and, of course, the last seen by the trains leaving for the south. At present the trains wind through it and over the hill. It is understood that the depot will be moved a short distance east when the tracks are broadened. No better land exists anywhere than is found on the bench north of the town.”
Early in September 1890, Bishop Henry Hughes and Traugott Stumpf of Mendon were arrested a second time on charges of unlawful cohabitation.
Counselor James G. Willie, who had acted in the Bishopric since 1884, was honorably released from his position because of old age, and at a meeting held September 22nd, 1890, Alfred Gardner was ordained a High Priest and set apart as second counselor to Bishop Hughes.
In 1891, Elder Andrew Jenson visited Cache Valley in the interest of church history; he addressed the general public meeting at Mendon November 16th, 1891, and on the following day (November 17th) he met with a number of old settlers of Mendon to obtain historical information.
William Isaac Sorensen was set apart for a mission to Scandinavia, March 2nd, 1894; he returned May 6th, 1896.
Albert Mowry Baker Jr. was set apart for a mission to the Eastern States, April 13th, 1894; he returned July 27th, 1896.
In 1898 five Elders were called on missions from Mendon, namely: Jacob Frederick Sorensen who was set apart for a mission to Montana, March 23rd, 1898 and returned in March, 1900; Joseph Turner Wood who was set apart for a mission to Montana, March 23rd, 1898 and returned in June, 1899; Joseph Nicholas Sorensen who was set apart for a mission to Montana, March 23rd, 1898 and returned in 1900; Mormon Delbert Bird who was set apart for a mission to the Northwestern States, July 6th, 1898, and returned July 5th, 1900; and Elias Davis who was set apart for a mission to Great Britain July 8th, 1898, and returned in 1900.
In 1899, three missionaries were called from Mendon, namely; Mathew Forster who was set apart for a mission to Great Britain March 31st, 1899, and returned June 5th, 1901; Peter Andrew Sorensen was set apart for a mission to Scandinavia, March 31st, 1899 and returned in 1901; and Christian Sorensen who was set apart for a mission to Scandinavia May 5th, 1899 and returned September 21st, 1901.
At a meeting held at Mendon, April 25th, 1900, attended by Apostle Francis M. Lyman, President Joseph Morrell of the Cache Stake Presidency, Elder John H. Anderson of Logan and other prominent visitors, Bishop Henry Hughes was honorably released as Bishop of the Mendon Ward and Elder John H. Anderson was chosen as his successor. It was also the sense of the meeting that Elder Henry Hughes should be ordained a Patriarch, and at a special meeting held at Logan, April 30th, 1900 John Smith Willie was ordained a High Priest by Apostle George Teasdale and set apart as first counselor to Bishop John H. Anderson. George Nicholas Sorensen was ordained a High Priest by Apostle Marriner W. Merrill and set apart as second counselor to Bishop John H. Anderson. Henry Hughes (the former Bishop) was ordained a Patriarch by Apostle George Teasdale.
In 1900, two Elders were called on missions from Mendon, Namely; Nicholas Leo Richards who was set apart for a mission to the Southern States, July 18th, 1900, and returned December 21st, 1902; and John H. Yonk who was set apart for a mission to Germany October 9th, 1900, and returned in 1901.
The numerical strength of the Mendon Ward December 31st, 1900, as 617 souls (ninety families) including one Patriarch (Henry G. Hughes), eighteen High Priests, fourteen Seventies, twenty-seven Elders, twelve Priests, fourteen Teachers, twenty Deacons, 325 lay members and 186 children under eight years of age.
The following were the principal officers:
Bishopric: John H. Anderson bishop; John S. Willie first and George N. Sorensen second counselor; Alfred Gardner ward clerk.
Relief Society: Mrs. Jane Marie Baker president; Mrs. Mary Sonne first and Mrs. Julia A. Wood second counselor; Mrs. Sarah Ann Hughes secretary and Mrs. Jane Stumpf treasurer.
Sunday School: Isaac Sorensen, Superintendent; Jacob F. Sorensen, First and Albert Mourey Baker, Second Assistant Superintendent; Miss Rebecca Sorensen, Clerk.
Y.M.M.I.A.: William I. Sorensen president; Mormon Delbert Bird first and Peter Larsen, second counselor; Philip Sorensen secretary.
Y.L.M.I.A.: Miss Jemima R. Forster president; Miss Malina Sorensen first and Miss Sarah Baker second counselor; Miss Hannah Sorensen secretary.
Primary Association: Mrs. Ann Westover president; Mrs. Emerine Bird first and Mrs. Amanda Sweeten second counselor; Miss Sadie Baker secretary
Religion Class: Mormon Delbert Bird, superintendent.
Quorums and Associations—
The Elders residing at Mendon were organized in a quorum capacity, December 3rd, 1860, with Edward Wood as president and Alfred G. Atkinson, as clerk. The latter was succeeded in the secretary ship, October 12th, 1862, by Joseph Baker, who in turn was succeeded November 29th, 1864, by Henry Stokes, who was succeeded, July 23rd, 1865, by Alfred Gardner. Joseph H. Richards was appointed president July 23rd, 1865 and Alfred Gardner continued as clerk. Joseph H. Richards was called to colonize in Arizona. He left Mendon February 8th, 1876. William Miller became President December 18th, 1876. When the Cache Valley Stake of Zion was reorganized in 1877, the Elders of Mendon became the 16th quorum of Elders in the Stake together with the Elders in Petersboro.
The quorum was reorganized January 31st, 1886, with Alexander H. Richards as president and Jeremiah Baker as his first counselor and Samuel Sorensen was chosen as second counselor. H. T. Richards was chosen as secretary July 27th, 1890. Brother Alexander H. Richards still presided at the close of the century.
There was a Teachers quorum in Mendon at an early day, but no records of the meeting held by that organization have been preserved. At the close of the century Charles Bird presided over the quorum with George Walker as his first and Leroy Baker as his second counselor.
A Deacons Quorum was organized in Mendon at an early date, but none met with the historian to report.
A Relief Society was organized by Bishop Andrew P. Shumway at Mendon, May 28th, 1868, with the following officers: Mrs. Elizabeth A. Willie president; Mrs. Jane Maria Baker first and Mrs. Catherine Sophia Anderson second counselor; Mrs. Jane Baker secretary, and Mrs. Ann Hancock treasurer. Mrs. Sarah Ann Hughes succeeded Mrs. Jane Baker as secretary November 6th, 1873 and Mrs. Rebecca Hughes was chosen as treasurer December 2nd, 1875, succeeding Mrs. Ann Hancock. In the spring of 1885 secretary Sarah Ann Hughes resigned and Mrs. Martha Hughes was chosen as her successor (Min. Bk. A:1 20, 33, 180.)
President Willie was released on account of feeble health and the society was reorganized May 28th, 1886, with the following officers: Mrs. Jane Maria Baker president; Mrs. Mary Goatman, first and Mrs. Mary Sonne second counselor; Mrs. Martha Hughes secretary and Mrs. Rebecca Hughes treasurer.
Counselor Goatman died July 13th, 1892 and on December 1st, 1892, Mrs. Mary Sonne was promoted from the position of second to that of first counselor and Mrs. Matilda W. Wagstaff was chosen as second counselor. In the spring of 1896, counselor Wagstaff moved away and Mrs. Julia Aline Wood was chosen as second counselor in her stead. At a meeting held February 6th, 1899, secretary Martha Hughes was released and Miss Elizabeth Buist was chosen as secretary in her stead. On the same occasion Mrs. Sarah Ann Hughes was chosen treasurer. In the fall of 1898, Mrs. Sarah Ann Hughes succeeded Miss Elizabeth Buist, as secretary. About this same time Mrs. Jane Stumpf was chosen as treasurer.
Following are the names of the officers of the society December 31st, 1900. Mrs. Jane Maria Baker president; Mrs. Mary Sonne first and Mrs. Julia A. Wood second counselor; Mrs. Sarah Ann Hughes secretary and Mrs. Jane Stumpf, treasurer.
The first Sunday school was commenced at Mendon by James G. Willie about the year 1863 under the direction of Bishop Andrew P. Shumway. This was undoubtedly the second Sunday school in Cache Valley, but it was not continued very long, as the people at that early day had not drunk very deep into the spirit of the Sunday school at Mendon and the old settlers do not remember when the permanent school, which is still running, was organized. It is know, however, that in the beginning of 1877, John Donaldson acted as superintendent with Isaac Sorensen as his first assistant and George W. Baker as secretary. Thomas Bassett was appointed recorder January 13th, 1877. At a session of the school held October 19th, 1879, first assistant superintendent Isaac Sorensen, having been called on a mission to Scandinavia, was honorably released and Alfred Gardner was appointed assistant superintendent in his stead. Prior to that (January 26th, 1879) Henry Gardner was appointed to succeed Thomas Bassett as recording secretary in the school. Superintendent Donaldson was called on a mission to Europe in the spring of 1880 and at a session of the school held May 9th, 1880, Henry Gardner was appointed second assistant superintendent of the school. Brother Alfred Gardner being first assistant superintendent took charge of the school until the return of Elder Sorensen. Elder Sorensen having returned from his mission to Scandinavia resumed his former position as first assistant superintendent of the school. At a session held July 17th, 1881, he was appointed to take charge of the school while superintendent John Donaldson filled his mission abroad. Alfred Gardner was continued at second assistant superintendent. Superintendent John Donaldson returned from a mission to Europe, May 7th, 1882 and resumed his former position as superintendent of the school. Secretary Henry Gardner died and Edmund Paul was appointed secretary, January 15th, 1882. George W. Baker was appointed secretary, March 11th, 1883. The next secretary was Miss Mary E. Baker. Superintendent John Donaldson was honorably released and the school reorganized June 8th, 1884, as follows: Isaac Sorensen, superintendent; Alfred Gardner first and George W. Baker, Jr. second assistant; Miss Mary E. Baker as secretary in August 1886. He in turn was succeeded in 1890 by Emil Joseph Stumpf. This year (1890) also Andrew Sorensen succeeded George W. Baker as second assistant superintendent. (Min. Bk. B. :pp 1, 9, 95, 70, 71, 112, 155, 169, 181, 219.)
William Isaac Sorensen succeeded Emil J. Stumpf in 1893, as secretary. Alfred Irvine Gardner became secretary in 1894; he was succeeded in that office by Miss Rebecca Sorensen in May 1899 and she in turn was succeeded by Charles Grant Bird in 1900. At a session of the school held May 7th, 1899, first assistant Alfred Gardner and secretary Alfred Irvine Gardner were released and George B. Hughes was chosen as first assistant superintendent and Alfred Irvine Gardner as second assistant superintendent, to superintendent Isaac Sorensen. Rebecca Sorensen was continued as secretary. At a session of the school held July 8th, 1900, assistant superintendents George B. Hughes and Alfred Irvine Gardner were honorably released and Jacob Fred Sorensen was set apart as first and Albert Mowry Baker as second assistant superintendent. The officers at the close of the century were; Isaac Sorensen, Superintendent; Jacob F. Sorensen, First, and Albert Mowry Baker, Second assistant; Miss Rebecca Sorensen, clerk. (Min. Bk. C: 137; Bk. D: 288, Min. Bk. E: 77.)
A Y.M.M.I.A. was organized at Mendon December 30th, 1875, by Milton H. Hardy and B. Morris Young with the following officers: John Donaldson president; Alexander H. Richards, first and John Hughes second counselor; Hyrum Richards secretary. Following is a list of the successors of President Donaldson: Walter Paul, appointed November 23rd, 1881; Jens Jensen, appointed September 17th, 1882; Peter Andrew Sorensen appointed March 7th, 1883; Jens Jensen, appointed November 15th, 1885; Peter Andrew Sorensen appointed the second time November 9th, 1887. (Brother Sorensen still presided in 1891) with Alfred Gardner and August Harder as counselors; George Sorensen secretary. Meetings were held semi-monthly. Alfred Gardner was appointed president February 19th, 1893; Joseph Turner Wood appointed March 3rd, 1895; Peter Sorensen appointed in July 1900. Following are the officers December 31st, 1900; William Isaac Sorensen president; Mormon Delbert Bird first and Peter Larsen second counselor; Philip Sorensen secretary.
A Y.L.M.I.A. was organized at Mendon, October, 25th, 1877 by Mrs. Eliza Snow with the following officers: Mrs. Larsine S. Richards president; Mrs. Sarah Ann Hughes first and Mrs. Annie Bigler second counselor; Miss Sarah Walker third, and Miss Annie Wood fourth counselor; Miss Emma Willie secretary; Mrs. Rhoda Smith assistant secretary and Miss Lydia Anderson treasure.
President Richards was released and the association reorganized January 30th, 1884, as follows: Mrs. Hannah B. Willie president; Mrs. Emerine Bird first and Miss Mary L. Baker second counselor; Miss Julia Baker secretary.
President Willie was honorably released and the association reorganized October 29th, 1884, with the following officers: Miss Emerine E. Bird president; Miss Maria J. Baker secretary. Miss Adelia Bird succeeded Miss Julia Baker as secretary, March 4th, 1885.
President Emerine E. Bird was released and the association reorganized November 14th, 1885, as follows: Miss Margaret Forster president; Miss Caroline Sorensen first and Miss Mary Ann Bird second counselor; Miss Adelia Bird secretary.
President Forster was released and the association again reorganized February 28th, 1889, when the following officers were chosen; Miss Adelia Bird president; Miss Maria Bird first and Miss Luella Whitney second counselor; Miss Martha Sweeten secretary and treasurer.
In the spring of 1890, counselor Luella Whitney resigned and Miss Christine Sorensen was chosen as her successor. Counselor Marie Bird moved away in the spring of 1891 and Mrs. Mary Ann Hardman was chosen as first counselor in her stead. In the spring of 1893 counselors Hardman and Sorensen resigned and also secretary Sweeten, in consequence of which Mrs. Mary A. Hancock was chosen as first and Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Sorensen as second counselor to President Bird; Miss Jamima R. Forster was chosen as secretary. (Min Bk. A: 16, 91, 96, 101, 109, 128, 137, 142, 180.)
President Bird was honorably released and the association reorganized March 2nd, 1898, with the following officers (who still acted at the close of the century). Miss Jemina R. Forster president; Miss Malina Sorensen first and Miss Sarah E. Baker second counselor; Miss Hannah Sorensen secretary.
A Primary Association was organized at Mendon, June 3rd, 1879, with the following officers: Mrs. Martha Zina Paul president; Mrs. Jane Maria Baker first and Mrs. Sarah Ann Hughes as second counselor; Miss Mary E. Baker secretary and treasures.
President Paul died April 5th, 1883, and the association was reorganized July 30th, 1883, with officers as follows: Mrs. Jane Maria Baker president; Mrs. Ann Westover, first and Mrs. Emerine Bird second counselor; Miss Julia Baker secretary, Master William Isaac Sorensen, assistant secretary and Master Emil Joseph Stumpf treasurer. In the spring of 1885, Miss Lucy Baker was appointed secretary.
In the spring of 1890, Miss Sarah Baker was appointed, secretary. A partial reorganization took place in 1892, when Mrs. Amanda Sweeten (former second counselor) became first counselor and Mrs. Mary Ann Hancock second counselor to President Westover, Miss Bertha Sorensen was chosen as secretary.
In the absence of complete records some details must be omitted, but the following named sisters were the principal officers of the association December 31st, 1900. Mrs. Ann Westover president; Mrs. Emerine Bird first and Mrs. Amanda Sweeten second counselor; Miss Sarah Elizabeth Baker secretary.
A Religion Class was organized at Mendon, a few years ago and at the close of the century, Mormon Delbert Bird acted as superintendent.1
1. Andrew Jenson, compiler, History of Mendon Ward, unpublished typescript manuscript, about 1901. Andrew Jenson, LDS Church Historian visited with Isaac Sorensen on 17 November, 1891, much of the first section of information contained here was taken from the Journals of Isaac Sorensen. The balance from the noted quorums and associations and their record books prior to completion.
2. Scandinavian Jubilee Album 1850- 1900, Deseret News Press, Salt Lake City, page 128.