History of Petersboro
Between 1860 and 1870 William Kidman from England, Thomas Muir from Scotland, M. Poulsen from Denmark, Hans Anderson from Denmark, Elias Davis from Wales, G. L. Farrell from England, C. W. Maughan from Scotland, P. P. Peterson from Denmark and a few others settled in and around this locality on the little streams and springs.
A one or two roomed log house and log shed marked these homesteads, but now modern homes for prosperous farming [lost from page] on every farm.
It was here, about 1860, that George L. Farrell used and developed the science of dry farming. This discovery, that wheat an alfalfa could be grown with out irrigation, made these farms and this farming community possible.
For seventy years there has never been a failure of crops in this section.
There are 9,555 acres of farmland, 2,556 acres of pastureland, 289 acres of woodland. All these lands with their improvements have a value of $552,415. There are 24 farms, so the average value of each farm is $23,017.
The schoolhouse is the community center and a long line of teachers have directed the school. Peter Larsen taught here for 22 years, then Miss Bickmore, Miss Adams, Miss Anderson, Mrs. Verna Sorensen, Mr. S. C. Anderson, Miss Annie Buist, and Vance D. Walker has taught here for six years. Then for several years it was a one–teacher school, but in 1936 all Petersboro children were transported to the Mendon School. This school has led the county in Health and O.K. teeth.
Ten years ago Skeen and Skeen of Ogden and the Cardon Company of Logan constructed a pumping irrigation project for this district, which failed.
There are 24 families in the district and about 100 people. Farming and cattle raising are the chief pursuits.1
1. Cache County School District Children and Teachers, et al., History of Cache County, 1938 & 1946, p. 68–69.